Review: False Memory by Dan Krokos

Title: False Memory (False Memory #1) by Dan Krokos
Page count: 327 pages (hardcover edition)
Goodreads rating: 3.92
Published on: August 14th, 2012
Buy it via: Amazon|B&N|Book Dep
Rating: 4/5 crystal balls
Summary: Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn't at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability. Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn't easy—especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving. Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn't seem to matter... when there may not be a future. 
From the moment I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it because 1) In my opinion, there’s not enough YA sci-fi out there, 2) that eye-popping cover! and 3) I'm always up for anything action packed.

The moment our heroine Miranda wakes up on a bench, with no memory how she got there, I knew there was no way I going to be able to put this one down.  There is no stopping with this story. It just keeps on giving, and going, and all you can do is hold on for the ride. Krokos did an amazing job dealing with an extremely sensitive issue: memory loss. Miranda’s memory loss is dealt with honestly and appropriately, and allows her to grow as a character throughout the book, and in a way, it’s like you get to know her as she is discovering who she is as a person. I thought this was a risky move as characters with memory loss can be a tricky thing to write, but I felt it paid off here, and it allowed me to invest myself in Miranda’s character in a unique way.

At the center of this tale, and not to mention this story’s biggest strength, is the group dynamic between Miranda, Noah, Peter and Olive. It’s so refreshing to see this in a YA book, with the heart of the story being about friendship, a team. False Memory also featured something I rarely ever see and that was a non-annoying triangle! I have rarely seen triangles that don’t make me roll my eyes but to my surprise the triangle presented in False Memory not only makes sense, but it felt genuine. Still, it doesn't overpower the book, and I think that is the main reason, it’s so effective here. The main focus is first and foremost on the group dynamic, and the plot. 

My one and only nitpick is that there are so many shocks toward the end of the book, it made my head spin a little. I found it difficult try to make sense of it all and connect to the story as a whole on a deeper level, because I just couldn't be sure what’s true and what’s not true. Don’t get me wrong, half the fun is all the plot twists but you know what they say, too much of anything is no good. Still, it’s all incredibly exciting and well-executed, and I can’t wait to see what happens next in this heart-stopping saga.

Ultimately, False Memory is an adrenaline fueled adventure, full of twists and turns and breathtaking action. Dan Krokos is definitely an author to watch out for and I am impatiently waiting for the sequel, False Sight, due out next year.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting our blog! We'd love to hear from you! =)

 

About Us

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Once upon a time, there were two sisters -Susan and Shauna - who were moved and mesmerized by stories through any medium, since they were teeny tiny. This passion stayed with them throughout adulthood, and after becoming even more enthralled with Young Adult fiction in recent times (and some Adult & MG!) they decided they just had to open up their own book blog and share their enthusiasm with the world, or well, to anyone who would listen.

Subscribe via Email!

Subscribe

Find Us!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Stats