Review: Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone

Title: Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
Page count: 384 pages (hardcover edition)
Goodreads rating: 4.04
Published on: October 9th, 2012
Buy it via: Amazon|B&N|Book Dep
Rating: 4/5 crystal balls
Summary: Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett has the unique ability to travel through time and space, which brings him into Anna’s life, and with him a new world of adventure and possibility. As their relationship deepens, the two face the reality that time may knock Bennett back to where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate, what consequences they can bear in order to stay together, and whether their love can stand the test of time.
As someone who grew up as both kid and teen in the 90’s, the premise of this book drew me in immediately. In 1995, the internet wasn't really around yet, and cell phones, if you had them, were huge. It was a simpler, different life. There was no such thing as social media, streaming, and kids played outside more often, instead of on their ipads. It’s hard to believe how much can change in seventeen years. As someone who was able to experience this all first hand, I jumped at the chance to be swept away to my past, and that’s why I couldn't wait to get my hands on Time Between Us, and of course, the promise of a beautiful love story. (I also have to read anything set anywhere around Chicagoland, as I get all giddy when a book is set where I'm from.)

I was simply enchanted by this book from the moment I opened up the cover. I actually read it all in one sitting and as fast as I can usually read sometimes, it takes me a couple days to get through a book no matter how much I love it, but I couldn't stop flipping the pages, and letting myself get caught up in this gorgeous tale. Time Between Us, is a deeply romantic love story, with genuine, likeable lead characters. However, this isn't your average contemporary, or romance. Time Between Us is a contemporary love story with a paranormal twist. Our lead male, Bennett, can travel through time. He lives in 2012 San Francisco, while our lead female, Anna, lives in 1995 Chicago.

In Time Between Us, Anna and Bennett are able to be together because of Bennett's gift of time travel. While his time travel ability not only allows them to be together, and give Anna, who has a deep sense of wanderlust, the chance to finally travel, it’s not without its complications. This is perhaps why I personally love time travel so much. (Besides being a huge sci-fi nerd that is.) I've always been beyond fascinated by the ability to travel through time, and the rewards and adventure that go along with it. But what about the consequences? I think time travel sheds some interesting light on the choices we make. I remember countless times daydreaming about being able to go back to my past. Would I be have the strength to simply stand back and observe a cool new exotic place, or even see someone I loved from afar who was no longer with me, or would I try to change things, no matter the cost?

It’s difficult sometimes to deliver a romance focused story, but Stone did an outstanding job of engaging the reader and making the romance interesting enough to want to keep coming back to. It’s hard not to root for Anna and Bennett, and be swept away by their connection to each other. It doesn't happen too slow or too fast, but just right. Time Between Us is filled with moments that will make your heart flutter and then break. I don’t want to give away spoilers for the ending, but I think readers will be satisfied.

Ultimately, Time Between Us is a delightful, memorable debut by Tamara Ireland Stone, and I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next. There’s romance, time travel, and the 90s setting is not only fun but bound to bring out nostalgia in readers. I definitely recommend picking Time Between Us soon and becoming dazzled by Anna and Bennett’s story!




2 comments:

  1. A romantic love story with likeable characters and time travel. Sounds great to me! I'm really excited to read this book. Gorgeous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I hear about this the more I know that I have to read it SOON! It sounds fantastic. Great review :)

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting our blog! We'd love to hear from you! =)

 

About Us

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Once upon a time, there were two sisters -Susan and Shauna - who were moved and mesmerized by stories through any medium, since they were teeny tiny. This passion stayed with them throughout adulthood, and after becoming even more enthralled with Young Adult fiction in recent times (and some Adult & MG!) they decided they just had to open up their own book blog and share their enthusiasm with the world, or well, to anyone who would listen.

Subscribe via Email!

Subscribe

Find Us!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Stats