Feature & Follow Friday (3)

Hello everyone! This is our second week of doing Feature & Follow Friday! It's been a blast meeting everyone and following so many blogs. We hope this week will be just as successful as last week! 

Feature and Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee


This week's question is...


Q: What is the BIGGEST word you've seen used in a book lately - that made you stop and look it up? Might as well leave the definition & book too.

This is a great question! Normally, when I have a word that I have no idea what it means, I write it down on a piece of paper to look up in the dictionary later. If I'm on my Kindle though, I can just look up a word right away. It's so convenient for a word nerd like me.

So, that brings me to my answer to this week's question. My word is obstinate and it means "very difficult to change or overcome" (x). It's definitely not a word you see/hear in every day life, so I suggest everyone try using it in a sentence. You can amaze your friends and family! LOL!

Anyway, this word comes from 11/22/63 by Stephen King and it is actually used quite frequently throughout the book. One of the major themes of the novel is "the past is obstinate" meaning that the past doesn't want to be changed. Jake Epping, the book's protagonist, goes back in time to stop the Kennedy Assassination in order to change the world. However, changing time is incredibly difficult and there are consequences. I won't spoil anything about what happens, but I suggest you all pick it up now. It's an incredibly beautiful and powerful story...because I'm sure all of us wishes we could go back in time and change things without realizing how truly complex and interwoven humanity has become.

Let me know what you think in the comments! Or if you want, you can just say hi!

16 comments:

  1. Hey, stopping by the FF and became a new follower

    Pagegirlspage
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've used that function on my Kindle yet! I haven't really had to look up a word lately, I guess I've been reading for so long I have built up my vocab!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word obstinate :) I came across the word before and I've always wanted to use it but never got the chance...yet :D

    Here's my FF: http://mybookmusings.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature-follow-friday-04.html

    New follower via GCF. Would love to hear from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm a new follower via GFC, your blog looks lovely =)
    Rinn
    http://rinnreads.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/feature-follow-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my FF post earlier. I am a new GFC follower.

    I love your buttons for FB, Twitter etc! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. obstinate describes my sisters :)
    Old follower My F&F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answer! I love that word. My dogs are very obstinate.

    New follower via GFC.

    Christina @ Ensconced in YA
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Swoons silently over Stephen Kings work* Sorry were we supposed to be discussing something here :3


    Old follower
    Here is my Follow Friday
    Lauren @ Northern Plunder

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know it wasn't frequent to see this word, we use it a lot un french so I never had a problem with it.

    old follower

    here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopping through. Glad you liked the King book. I'm excited to read it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved 11/22/63! It's the only Stephen King book I've read so far though since I don't read horror.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yep, seen this one many times. :)
    I love the handy part of the kindle to look up the words so easy. :)
    Here is mine
    Follow Friday Hop

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I remember seeing that word in 11/22/63 as well! I kind of figured it out since I've learned about words that sound really similar to it.

    Thanks for stopping by! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Obstinate is a great word, I just might do that this week, LOL

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stephen King! Loved 11/22/63, while I don't use obstinate in everyday life, I use obstinance frequently when describing my 4 year old :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting our blog! We'd love to hear from you! =)

 

About Us

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Once upon a time, there were two sisters -Susan and Shauna - who were moved and mesmerized by stories through any medium, since they were teeny tiny. This passion stayed with them throughout adulthood, and after becoming even more enthralled with Young Adult fiction in recent times (and some Adult & MG!) they decided they just had to open up their own book blog and share their enthusiasm with the world, or well, to anyone who would listen.

Subscribe via Email!

Subscribe

Find Us!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Stats