Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine



Title: Defiance by C.J. Redwine
Page count: 403
Published on: August 28th, 2012
Goodreads rating: 3.87
Format: Hardcover
Buy via: AmazonBarnes & NobleBook Depository
5 /5 Crystal Balls - Sunny, highest priority 

Summary: Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her. At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared. As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

You know sometimes you come across a book, and you know, you know somehow its tailor-made for just you? This is the epitome of Defiance for me. When I first saw the cover, I let out a gasp and when I read the premise, I immediately started counting down just how long I would have to wait until I could get my hands on it, and I was sure there was absolutely no possible way I could wait that long. Well, sometimes trusting your instincts pays off, because Defiance was everything I hoped it would be and more.

The first thing I want to say about my reading experience with this book is that the whole time I was reading it, my heart was in my throat. When I wasn’t reading it, I wanted to be, and when I was reading it, I turned the pages with a fiery determination while simultaneously grieving over the fact that I’d be soon done with it.  Yes, I never wanted it to end, and here’s why.

Defiance is a lot of things, and it is combination of things done extremely well. I really don't want to give too many specifics much away, because I feel like that'll take away from the impact of the story, but here are a few reasons that make this book one of my absolute favorites.
  1. Defiance is a magnificent blend of high-fantasy, science fiction, and dystopia. The mix of the classic Old World flare and futuristic technology infuses the story with a freshness and excitement. 
  2. One of the reasons Defiance is such a complete, and rewarding read is because it offers readers dual point of views from the two main characters, Rachel and Logan. I feel like with getting to see through both their eyes, I got to know them both in such a way that a solo point of view could never offer, not only individually, but together. There’s no guessing what the other one is thinking and feeling. Readers will know what’s at stake for both of these characters. Ultimately, by going back and forth between their perspectives, it added a powerful depth not only to their relationship but to the overall story that made my heart soar, and my eyes well-up. 
  3. When I'm reading a book, I need the characters to face real repercussions, or what’s the point? Defiance does an outstanding job of illustrating through our characters, the fragility of life, and that for every choice we make, there are real, and true consequences. There are some harrowing moments that we have to watch our characters suffer through in book, but they are necessary. The sad truth is, as human beings, we unfortunately will have to face horrible situations throughout our lifetime. Through these experiences though, we learn, and we grow as people. Life throws us curveballs that we can never be prepared for. We can train ourselves to protect our bodies, and we can train our minds to make them sharp, but we can never prepare our hearts. We can never be ready, but Defiance also shows us that where there is dark, there is light. Where there is death, there is life. Where there is complete devastation, there is happiness. 
Above all, Defiance is a story about loss, and learning to cope with that loss. This is a story about learning how to just to find a way to breathe when the pain is so real, so crushing, you don’t know how you’re going to get through the next minute, let alone after the dust settles. This is very much a story about the strength of the human spirit. This is a saga about finding a way to pick up the pieces. This is a tale about two broken souls coming together, as their whole world around them is crumbling, and it’s simply beautiful. 

Defiance asks you: How far will you go for the love a parent? For the person you’re in love with? For revenge? I like books that challenge my emotions on every level, and that have that ability to speak to me on a personal level. This is one of those books.

C.J Redwine gives readers an intense, gut-wrenching journey yet ultimately one that stitched in hope, and momentous love. Defiance is a powerful and unforgettable gem in a sea of YA fiction. This is a story that not only broke my heart but one that put it back together in a way that was better than before. Now I can only begin the process of sitting here waiting  impatiently with baited breath to see what comes next. Until then Defiance will never be far from my mind.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting our blog! We'd love to hear from you! =)

 

About Us

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Once upon a time, there were two sisters -Susan and Shauna - who were moved and mesmerized by stories through any medium, since they were teeny tiny. This passion stayed with them throughout adulthood, and after becoming even more enthralled with Young Adult fiction in recent times (and some Adult & MG!) they decided they just had to open up their own book blog and share their enthusiasm with the world, or well, to anyone who would listen.

Subscribe via Email!

Subscribe

Find Us!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Stats